Packing household items safely should be your top priority when preparing for the move. By following these simple guidelines breakable kitchen items will reach the new home intact. Some people would say that all the fuss about packing and moving the kitchen is overrated.
Although it seems like a small unit, there are a lot of cupboards and drawers containing numerous tiny items that need special attention. As a result, you will need a lot of effort and time to sort your dishes and pack them properly for the move. If you have never moved house, don’t let the amount of household items and breakables frighten you. Even the most fragile items can be easily handled if you follow our suggestions.
How to pack delicate dishes for moving?
– Have enough packing supplies and protective material on hand – packing paper, dish boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, towels,… Dish boxes are specialized moving containers designed for packing and moving fragile and breakable kitchen items. Dish boxes are more durable with thicker walls than regular cardboard boxes, and as a result, they are more expensive.
– Use as much packing paper as you can to wrap every glassware item, cover the bottom of every box and fill an empty space inside the box with it so as to make sure that items cannot move around. Before putting crumpled paper, tape the bottom of the box properly in order to reinforce it. Do not overpack the boxes and make sure to add an extra layer of the packing paper at the top. -In order to ensure the best protection wrap each item individually, pack bigger items first and light items at the top of the box. Also, make protective cushioning inside and out the dishes. While lifting the box, if you hear the clunking sound know that there is still a free space between the items that needs to be filled with crumpled paper. Do not hesitate do double-wrap more delicate items like porcelain, crystal or stoneware. Furthermore, although the item is already wrapped in paper, put an extra protective layer of bubble wrap over it.
– Small kitchen appliances can be placed in a dish box, but not necessarily, since those boxes are designed for delicate and breakable items like bowls, plates, glasses, cups, vases, stemware,…
– Items like pots, pans, plastic kitchen items don’t need to be packed in a dish box. Use regular cardboard box instead, since similar items are not so delicate.
– For securing your dishes for the upcoming move you can also use a bubble wrap, so you can either use a crumpled paper or a bubble wrap to make a soft base for your items.
– Except for plain cardboard boxes, which can be found for free, make sure to include other dish packing material costs in the moving budget. If you are about to exceed the budget, use some alternatives every household has – newspapers, old towels and any kind of fabrics which can be used as a padding material.
– Once the box is packed, place once again protective padding material at the top and close the box with a tape.
– Label each moving box so that your Houston movers will know the content of the boxes and where each of them belongs. In case you have additional instructions for the people responsible for transporting them, write them down.
– Be very careful when loading the boxes into the moving truck. No matter how much the items are protected, one careless step while loading the boxes can cause a lot of damage.
– If you are uncertain as to how you will manage the packing of extra fragile and valuable items, consider professional packing services provided by your movers in Houston or any other company specializing in packing for the move.
– Last but not least, purchase proper insurance so as to cover your items in case of damage or losses.
Consider Box Ox Moving Houston for professional packing services for your next move
For more moving tips read more of our blog here