Are tips expected?
In a nutshell, tips are completely optional. While employees in the moving industry do appreciate a thoughtful tip, our crew at Box Ox Movers in Austin Texas never enters a job expecting an extra tip.
That said, if you happen to feel that a team or particular crew member went truly above and beyond expectations, a kind tip would be well-received.
Cash is often preferred, but any form of tip is very much valued. Treating a team to lunch or dinner is also wonderful!
A couple quick notes in terms of food offerings:
- While pizza may be the quintessential offering for moving crews, and our team does very much appreciate it, they also love to be treated to something different.
- While not many of our crew have food allergies, we proudly feature a diverse staff. Asking if any particular team member might have any allergies is a very nice gesture.
- We would like to highlight how much our crew loves working with our clients. We love being able to help you make these transitions!
There are a lot of varying opinions on how much to tip your moving crew. Oddly enough, tipping on a percentage of the total bill isn’t necessarily as applicable as it would be in say a restaurant.
Instead, it helpful to think of how many hours the crew worked and how difficult the work was. A few examples of factors to consider:
- How much heavy lifting was the crew doing?
- Did the team masterfully navigate any narrow corridors or sharp corners?
- Did they do an impressive job in particularly intense weather conditions, such as a super hot day, or slippery ground with ice/snow?
For a full day of moving, some like to tip a flat amount per person depending on the nature of the job.
Read more: http://www.boxoxmoving.com/blog