Suggestions to help you prepare for moving day
While each move is unique, there are some tried and true pieces of advice that can apply to almost every move – and the experts at Box Ox Moving have it down. Since 2003, we’ve helped over 50,000 customers move their household belongings locally and across the country. Along the way, we’ve compiled an arsenal of expert moving advice, designed to help make your move easy, organized, and affordable.
Even if organization isn’t your “thing,” there are some simple things you can do to make moving a little easier.
- Gather moving quotes. The best moving advice is to start gathering moving quotes as soon as you know that you’re moving. Click here to get a Box Ox moving quote, and read more helpful advice about how to read your moving quote here. But before you call or go online, it’s helpful to gather this information:
- The locations you're moving from and to
- An estimated move date
- The size of your move
- Any special services you may need (packing/loading/unloading help, storage, etc).
- Make a reservation. If possible, we recommend reserving your move at least 30 days in advance – just to make sure the equipment is available on the day you need it. We also recommend having your equipment delivered the day before you plan to load so that you don’t waste time waiting for it to arrive.
- Print a checklist. Checklists are essential to moving because they help you keep track of every detail. Box Ox Moving has a great checklist. Print out a moving checklist and get started working through it.
- Order moving supplies. The best way to protect your belongings during a move is with professional-grade moving supplies. Check out the Blog post “Should I use plastic totes or moving boxes for my move?” Keep in mind that you’ll get a 10% discount on all moving kits at the Box Ox Moving.
Moving takes work, and you’ll find that the largest part of your effort (and time) will be spent packing. Really, this is one of the most important tasks when it comes to moving. How your belongings are packed plays a huge part in how well they travel across the country.
- Get up to date on packing tips. For the best industry expert advice for packing everything from appliances to dishes and lawn items, check out these packing tips.
- Get rid of unwanted items. When you move with Box Ox Moving Company, on flat rates you pay only for the amount of items being moved, so take some time to get rid of the things you no longer want or need, and save money in the long-run. Set aside items for a moving sale, donate them, or simply or simply throw them out.
- Use the items you can’t move. There are some things household movers just can’t move on the moving truck due to law restrictions. Check out the Do Not Ship list before you begin packing. You’ll find items like cleaning products, perishable food, and flammables. Plan to use them up or give them away before moving day.
Get Ready for Moving Day
There are some important things to prepare for before moving day arrives – and you’ll find that taking care of these things plenty of time in advance makes that day and the days following much more manageable. .
- Secure parking permits, if necessary. Depending on the parking situation, you might need a parking permit. We recommend that every Box Ox Moving customer check with their city/local police department, HOA, apartment manager, landlord, etc. to determine if there are any parking restrictions and if a parking permit is required.
- Make a plan for kids and pets. If you have children or pets, make sure they have a safe place to stay on moving day. And don’t forget to leave out the essential items that kids and pets need (or want), like special toys and snacks. Read more helpful advice here: Tips for Keeping Kids Safe on Moving Day and Long Distance Moving with Pets
- Stage a loading area. (If youre self loading) One piece of moving advice that Box Ox Moving customers find helpful is to “practice” loading before your equipment arrives. If you have the room, this is as simple as stacking your belongings into the corner of a room in your house or the garage to get a better idea of how much space you’ll need. Just mark it off at 8 ft. wide and 9 ft. tall.
More Helpful Moving Advice
Much of the information you’ve read here can also be found on the Box Ox Moving Blog – which offers an abundance of detailed posts containing very specific moving advice. You can also send us a message below: